November 10, 2008

63. Passing the baton - the power of mentoring

I had the most amazing moment during the closure of one program last week.

One of the students approached me and asked if the mentees could mentor the new students at the school next year. Well, of course it was not my decision, but I encouraged her to explore this possibility and have subsequently told the School Coordinator about the conversation.

The power of mentoring continues to surprise me. Here, too, was a student who barely could speak to me six months ago, coming along to have this chat and then, as we were packing up, coming to thank me for allowing her to participate in the program.

The school needs young leaders or people of positive influence. What a thought if students who had participated in GR8 MATES could move on to become peer mentors.

I will be spending the next couple of weeks collating all the information I have gathered from these programs, putting together a report for my Board. I already know that the three pilots have been successful - way exceeded my expectations ...... maybe more later.

No comments: